Monday, July 18, 2011

When Do Beauty Products Expire?

A few years ago and especially when I was a teenager, I would collect different beauty products. I'd try one, then decide to try another. I would never throw anything away so the collection kept adding up. The thought would keep running across my mind that "I might have a need for this later", so back on the shelf it would go. Now I stick with the Artistry line, but old products have a way of sticking around so I thought I'd give some advice on what you should keep and what really needs to be thrown away. This is great advice for any skin care and cosmetic line.

Products don't last forever, especially if they are the healthier products that have live cultures in them (like the natural plant and fruit extracts in Artistry products). In fact, the longer a product lasts on the shelves, the more potential for bacteria growth. This can lead to infections or skin irritations on your eyes or face if the product is used past it's shelf life.

The following are life spans of different products.
Find out when to discard your makeup and skin care items.

*Powder, Shadows, Blush: 2-3 years

*Foundation, Moisturizers, Serums: 1 year

*Mascara, Eyeliner, Liquid or Gel Liner: 3-6 months

*Lipstick, Gloss, Lip Pencil: 2-3 years

*Makeup Brushes: I recommend cleaning weekly with a gentle soap and air drying


To keep your makeup fresh and in good condition:

*Store in a dark cool place (not in a car)
*Wash your hands before application
*Secure tops and lids on tight
*Avoid sharing with others
*Always dispose of if you have an eye infection
*If your cosmetics have a funny smell, change in color or texture, or just look different all together, get rid of them. Using clean fresh cosmetics is your best bet and you’ll get the most out of your products!

I hope this helped with your cabinet space and with the life of your products.
Have a healthy day!

Blessings,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment